Transport for NSW keeps our State moving by providing safe, integrated and efficient transport systems. We put our customers at the centre of everything we do – and we do a lot. We connect people, communities and industry and manage how they use our road, rail and maritime networks and services, and even active modes like walking and cycling. The work we do connects the journeys you take every day.
We are a state government organisation made up of more than 28,000 people and we're in the middle of delivering the largest transport infrastructure program in Australia's history. We work across planning, policy and procurement, harnessing data and technology to develop smarter and more adaptive transport solutions.
That means job opportunities in metropolitan and regional areas right across NSW – you have the chance to be part of creating a lasting legacy that will benefit generations to come.
The Regional and Outer Metropolitan division is focused on understanding the particular needs of regional communities across NSW and delivering customer-centred integrated transport services and infrastructure. The Networks and Assets Branch looks after the assets that connect our communities and their purpose is to make regional and outer metropolitan NSW a better place to live, work and visit. This role will allow you to develop your skills and gain exposure to types of work that you just won't find anywhere else.
About the team – Maintenance & Delivery
Maintenance and Delivery North West are part of the Network and Assets Branch. This team is an internal delivery partner for construction and maintenance projects that concern road and bridge assets within the West Region Transport Network. We require the collective skillset of professional engineers to lead teams in the successful delivery of construction and maintenance programs to high level safety, quality and efficiency requirements.
We need to be agile, creative, and innovative to deliver the sustainable solutions necessary for a resilient network. We lead diverse teams that are geographically dispersed and with varying specialist skillsets.
Our workbook ranges from technically challenging construction projects and responsive routine maintenance programs that ensure that connections between remote communities are enhanced, safe and accessible for our customers.
Right now, we have a permanent full-time opportunity for a District Works Manager to join us in the Regional Maintenance and Delivery team, based in Dubbo, NSW.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Maintenance and Delivery, you will be responsible for the management of the development and delivery of all road maintenance programs and projects in the works centre area to achieve product/service delivery to agreed standards, targets and business objectives.
Key accountabilities of the role
- Ensure that the works centre’s business objectives and client needs are met through planning, and the management of the development and delivery of road maintenance works programs and projects
- Lead a team of engineering and road maintenance staff and physical resources, including an allocation to works, workforce planning, and the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives, skills development, and managing workplace relations issues
- Ensure that the works centre delivers its services with a high level of workplace health and safety and environmental management
- Ensure effective client, stakeholder and community relationship management and consultation
- Ensure effective delivery of minor contracts through the design, development, tendering, awarding and efficient administration
- Provide strong leadership, model high ethical standards and values
Please click here to view a copy of the role description.
To be considered for this role you will:
- Have extensive experience in planning, estimating, program preparation and budgeting for engineering works, and effective management of a direct control workforce.
- Have demonstrated practical knowledge of WHS requirements, the enterprise agreement framework, environmental responsibilities and quality management principles
- Have advanced communicate skills and experience working collaboratively with people at all levels to motivate and influence, and build key relations with a wide range of clients and internal and external stakeholders.
- Be solutions-focussed and contribute to a positive workplace culture to inspire teams to deliver customer-centred projects
- A four-year engineering qualification from an Australian university or equivalent overseas qualifications
- Have a current and valid Australian motor vehicle driver license and be willing to travel on occasion
Salary and Benefits
District Works Manager – Level 4 - $150,887 - $160, 995 per annum plus superannuation. This exciting role offers excellent conditions including flexible working arrangements as well as fantastic work-life balance and access to financial benefits associated with living and working in regional NSW.
- Operate with high degree of autonomy
- Additional annual leave (5 weeks)
- Support and commitment for ongoing development opportunities.
- Opportunity to lead a team during growth with a large and diverse future program of works.
For more information on Employee Benefits at TfNSW please click here.
If you’re ready to step into this meaningful and rewarding role, we want to hear from you!
This is an exciting and great opportunity to create your own success where your contribution will be truly valued and positively impact communities across regional NSW. Right now is an exciting time to join our team as we are delivering the largest infrastructure program Australia has ever seen – to keep people and goods moving, connect communities and shape the future of our cities, centres and region.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and answer all questions within the online application process. Please note, direct applications via email will not be accepted.
Applications close: 11.59pm Sunday 9th October 2022
Please note: The successful candidate will undertake background checks including a National Police Check
We are the community we serve
We are committed to being an inclusive, diverse and flexible workplace where differences are valued. We welcome people of all backgrounds, experience and abilities.
We enable our people to work in ways that work for them with flexible work policies, offerings and practices. Working virtually and from different locations including regional locations, staggering work hours and job sharing are just some of the ways our people can work flexibly. We’re proud to be recognised as a FlexReady Certified employer and winners of the ‘Best Remote Work Strategy’ for our hybrid ways of working at the Australian HR Awards 2022.
Please contact the Talent Specialist below if you require any adjustments to be made to how you interact with us throughout the recruitment process or would like to discuss flexible work options.
For any enquiries, please email Gordon McGinn, Talent Specialist at GORDON.MCGINN2@TRANSPORT.NSW.GOV.AU.
Learn more about how Transport supports people with disability and those providing care via Transport Careers Supporting People with Disability page.
We’re certified as a Family Inclusive Workplace
Our flexible work practices and policies for parental leave, employee and family wellbeing and family care enable us to provide genuine support for our people to thrive at work and at home.
Working with Transport gives you access to a range of benefits that help you balance work with the things that matter to you. Look through our Employee Benefits Guide to learn more.
Apply today to register your interest!
Find out more about Transport for NSW at https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/about-us.
Take a look at our application tips video series for plenty of great information on navigating and acing the application and recruitment process here at Transport.
Job Segment: District Manager, Construction, Quality Manager, Relationship Manager, State Government, Management, Engineering, Government, Customer Service, Quality