Requisition ID: 262233
- Relocation Authorized: None
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Sydney, NSW
About the Project
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by Western Sydney Airport Co as its Delivery Partner for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: https://westernsydney.com.au/
About the Role
The Environmental Coordinator has responsibility to proactively assure Contractors adhere to their contract obligations, proactively monitor and enforce, environmental, safety and quality standards, monitor progress and report the assigned package status of activities to the Package Manager.
The Environmental Coordinator is a key individual in performing DPs role of Contract Administration. In undertaking this role, the individual should be fully familiar with the contract terms, scope, and requirements. Should work as part of the larger DP package management team to fulfil the DP obligations.
Working as a Representative of Bechtel as WSA’s Delivery Partner the Environmental Coordinator will report on environmental aspects of the assigned package or portions of a package, maintain regular WSA contact for work progress and exchange of information and advice.
Responsible for coordinating the review, pre-construction approval and performance surveillance of contractors’ environmental management plans. Provides technical oversight of the project’s environmental compliance activities through identification and integration of applicable environmental requirements into project designs, environmental and construction plans, schedules, reports and all other field execution activities. Works directly with other project-level functional leads (e.g., engineering, construction, contracts, procurement, project controls, document control) to assist them in integrating and/or addressing the applicable environmental requirements in their work products and activities.
Work Location: Badgerys Creek, South-Western Sydney.
The Environmental Coordinator shall:
- Review and helps implement the project-level environmental management program.
- Provide assistance to project and construction management in identifying and complying with project environmental requirements and in addressing environmental issues as they arise during project execution.
- Responsible for interdisciplinary collaboration and integration of environmental requirements with Contracts, Engineering, and Construction personnel.
- Coordinate with, and provide technical assistance to, other project-assigned functional leads (e.g., engineering, contracts, procurement, project controls, sustainability and stakeholder engagement) with regards to compliance with project-specific environmental requirements.
- Participate in meetings with client/ customer, project team members, and contractors to advise them of environmental requirements that may affect project design, schedule, and cost.
- Provide technical support and assistance directly to construction supervision and contractors in planning and executing field activities in accordance with the project environmental requirements.
- Responsible for reviewing Construction Environmental Management Plans (CEMPs), project specific mitigation plans, engineering designs for compliance with planning and sustainability requirements, technical submissions related to environmental aspects including claims, and monthly reports.
- Conduct environmental compliance inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, approvals, and the CEMPs.
- Identify opportunities and influence implementation of methodologies to improve environmental performance of contractor organisations.
- Track environmental and sustainability metrics to identify trends which may trigger both preventative or promotional actioning.
- Hold a commitment to document control and the management of information commensurate to the high standards required for managing public expenditure.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced knowledge in a field of science, environmental engineering or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of environmental sciences/engineering systems, principles, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of Australian and New South Wales planning and environmental laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for environmental compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential environmental impacts during project execution.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work processes.
- Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
- Environmental and sustainability management experience in construction of major civil infrastructure across multiple sites during design and delivery, including understanding of environmental and sustainability management principles and sound understanding of planning approvals, on infrastructure construction projects.
- Experience in environmental monitoring and compliance inspection during construction.
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical advice to environmental subcontractors or consultants and establishing and maintaining productive working relationships with construction contractors.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and waste management, erosion and sediment control methods.
- Skilled in oral and written communication, including negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of people at different levels both internally and externally.
- Knowledge of standard computer applications as used by Bechtel, and skilled in data management as part of an Environmental Management System.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology, ecology, forestry) or physical sciences (e.g., geology, meteorology), or environmental engineering from an accredited college or university. Prior practical work experience in office settings (e.g., managing environmental programs) and field environments (e.g. construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
- OR extensive industry experience, including supervision on large construction projects (experience in the management of construction or engineering for major Infrastructure or Aviation Projects is an advantage)
- Sound working knowledge of Contract Management.
What We Offer
There are many reasons why choosing to join Bechtel is one of the best career decisions you will ever make. In addition to working with talented, dedicated people and having the opportunity to play an integral role in stimulating and challenging local and international projects, Bechtel is committed to offering employees the benefits and resources to live healthy lives.
With a competitive salary package and annual discretionary performance bonus scheme in place, employee wellbeing is also at the centre of our business – promoted through flexible working arrangements, private health cover and includes access to a leading employee assistance program.
We are serious about setting you up for success from the very beginning. Experience an established online onboarding process, gain access to development opportunities via the Bechtel University and participate in our Talent Management and Reward and Recognition programs.
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Bechtel’s Vision, Values and Covenants commit us to the ideals of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust among others. These values help define our culture and the positive impact we aspire to make in the world through our people and projects. At our project sites and offices, we have many colleagues from different nationalities, religions, and backgrounds working together to accomplish amazing things.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, nationality, age, military, or veteran, marital or disability status.
Candidates will be appropriately qualified, demonstrate a strong safety focus and value the development and maintenance of client relationships.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career with global opportunities, then this could be the role for you.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.