TasTAFE is Tasmania's largest provider of vocational education and training. With a focus on practical, real-life learning, we work closely with industry to produce job-ready and highly valued graduates. We stay connected with business and industry in Tasmania and we work hard to ensure the vocational education and training students receive is industry-relevant and provide real industry skills that are highly valued by employers.
We are a diverse and inclusive workplace and understand the importance of flexibility. We want our workforce to reflect the diversity in our community. Ask how we can make this role flexible to suit you.The Role
Hours per fortnight - Up to 76 hours
This role is based in Hobart at the Campbell Street Campus
ELICOS teacher to efficiently plan and deliver high quality and engaging English language lessons to international students. Deliver courses to assist students on their Vocational Pathway through Academic English programs or support students with English language usage and Australian culture through General English programs.
Additionally, the successful candidate will undertake teaching and assessment duties in a variety of contexts and in line with relevant standards and compliance requirements. The occupant is required to regularly monitor and evaluate practice to maintain a focus on continuous improvement.
There is also a requirement for the provision of educational leadership, guidance and mentoring to employees in respect of preparation, delivery and assessment, evaluation and other techniques and strategies related to teaching duties.
The occupant undertakes tasks under general direction and supervision, based on established practices and procedures, provided by the Education Manager. Exercise of limited discretion is required.
An existing TasTAFE employee employed under a copied state instrument, or an employee who has been employed at TasTAFE in the past three months, if successful, would be appointed at the relevant classification and salary in the copied state instrument.About You
- A capacity to teach and assess in a competent manner with a sound understanding of basic teaching philosophies, the principles of assessment and the ability to adopt new teaching strategies and delivery techniques in relation to English Language programs and in particular ELICOS.
- Vocational competencies and current industry skills combined with an appropriate level of knowledge and skill relevant to the identified delivery area at least to the level of the training and assessment being delivered.
- Ability to adapt to change, undertake further training, and develop new knowledge and skills related to technological change and industry innovation.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate to students who have English as an additional language, parents, employers, staff and representatives from external organisations.
- An understanding of the problems that may be faced by international students and an ability to provide assistance to students experiencing study difficulties, including assessing and helping/referring students for further assistance.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer and quality services, including taking responsibility for solving client problems, adding value to customer expectations and identifying and meeting customer needs.
To be successful in the role you will need to demonstrate in your resume and short (maximum two-page) statement how you meet the capabilities of the role. See the 'Advice to Applicants' guide for more information on what to include.Requirements
- Current Registration to work with vulnerable people in Tasmania.
- Up to date with vaccination against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption.
- ELICOS knowledge and experience
- Experience in designing and delivering Academic English language courses
- Demonstrated ability of and experience with blended and/or hybrid teaching
- Demonstrated ability to use a range of digital technology to enhance student learning
- A recognised Australian undergraduate degree, or its overseas equivalent and;
A recognised post graduate TESOL qualification in adult education (minimum - Postgraduate Certificate in TESOL) and;
- The following requirements as detailed in the Australian Skills Quality Authority Standards For Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 are essential:
TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or its successor.
TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
AND one of the following:
1. TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills or its successor, or
2. TAELLN401A Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
AND one of the following:
1. TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools or its successor, or
2. TAEASS502A Design and develop assessment tools, or
3. TAEASS502B Design and develop assessment tools
A diploma or higher level qualification in adult education.
The equivalent of the above – refer to the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015.
- Current Tasmanian Registration to Work with Vulnerable People
- Evidence of full COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption
- Experience in a vocational education training environment
- Experience using CANVAS as a learner management system
- Experience teaching a multi-level class (A2 – B1+)
- Good understanding of Academic English transition into VET training
Apply online by clicking the 'Apply' button.
Applications close Sunday 9 October 2022 at 11:55PM
Detailed information about the vacancy is available from:
Advice to Applicants.doc
Advice to Applicants.pdf
Please visit TasTAFE Careers website for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
For more information about this vacancy please contact:
Phone: (03) 616 55***