The Queensland Youth Parliament (QYP) is a unique opportunity for youth to create real change in Queensland. Youth Members are the voice of young people in their electorates, advising politicians and decision-makers across the State.
Beyond bridging the gap between legislators and youth in Queensland, QYP also provides an outstanding opportunity for personal and professional development, be that in leadership skills, civic engagement, public speaking ability or the lifelong friendships forged throughout the transformative experience.
The Coordinator, Queensland Youth Parliament, is a fixed-term, part-time position working collaboratively with the YMCA’s Youth Development Coordinator.
The primary focus of the role is the delivery of a professional, safe and empowering Youth Parliament program. A secondary focus will be representing young people on the YMCA’s Youth Empowerment Executive and supporting the development, planning and execution of other YMCA youth empowerment programs.
You will engage, support and mentor a volunteer executive team who will in turn support you in the planning and delivery of the 2019 Queensland Youth Parliament program.
The ideal applicant will be looking for a challenge and have a passion for empowering young people to create real change in Queensland.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Demonstrated event management skills and experience;
- A clear understanding of the Queensland Governments Youth Strategy;
- Extensive knowledge of Government and Parliamentary systems and processes;
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to positively influence a range of stakeholders;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders;
- The ability to organise, multitask and prioritise work effectively;
- Currently possess, or be willing to obtain, a positive notice Blue Card;
- Current open driver’s license and willingness to travel.
To apply, candidates must supply a current resume and cover letter that addresses the key selection criteria as stated above.
For further information about the role, please contact Will Sambrook, Group Manager – Operations, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
At the Y, we are committed to empowering all Children and Young People to feel safe and be safe, at the Y, in their families and in their communities. As such, we ensure that all of our candidates are appropriately screened (including police checks) to make sure that the right people are in the right roles. To learn more about our screening processes, click here to view our Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy:
The YMCA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to safeguarding children and young people